You’re probably thankful for the roof over your head, and there’s good reason to be thankful for this all-important feature of your home: It protects you from the elements and ensures the comfort and security of you and your family. But if your roof is damaged or old, it won’t serve its intended purpose, which can put you and your family in harm’s way; not to mention the fact that it could end up causing serious and costly damage to your home.
Whether you suspect that you need a new roof or you just aren’t sure, having a Long Island roofing company perform a complete inspection is definitely a wise idea.
Not sure what roofing contractors do and how they can help to protect you and your family? Keep on reading to find out more about these invaluable professionals and why having a reputable roofing contractor in your phone book is an absolute must
What is a Roofing Contractor?
As the name suggests, a roofing contractor is a professional that specializes in roofing. These individuals are licensed by the state that they work in; for example, Nassau & Suffolk County roofers are licensed by the State of New York to complete roofing work. Licensure is extremely important. Not only is it legally required in New York, but it also certifies that roofing contractors have received the necessary education and have the knowledge and experience that is required to properly and safely complete work on residential and/or commercial roofs.
Roofing contractors oversee the entire process of new roof installations, renovations, and repairs. They ensure that plans meet the needs of each unique application, and that they are in compliance with strict rules and regulations set forth by the state they work in. Roofers also determine what type of materials will be used for each project, including the beams, rafters, trusses, substrates, and supportive features.
In addition to overseeing roofing projects, professional roofers also perform the work themselves. In other words, a roofer will both plan out and execute the installation of your new roof or the repairs that need to be performed on your existing roof, and will work on the project, too. They delegate responsibilities and they also pull their sleeves up and assist with the work that needs to be done.
When to Call a Long Island Roofing Company?
Even though the roof is one of the most important features of a home, many people overlook it. They don’t pay much attention to how it is functioning; that it is, until they have a major problem on their hands.
In order to avoid serious damage to your home and costly repairs, it’s important that you are aware of the signs that indicate your roof needs to be repaired or replaced. If you notice any of the following, you’re going to want to get in touch with a reputable roofer as soon as possible.
- Sagging: If you notice that your roof is sagging at all, you need to call a Long Island Roofing Company ASAP! If it appears that there is any sagging on any part of the roof – the middle, or one of sides, for example – that’s a surefire sing of structural issues. There are a number of reasons why roofs can sag; poor installation, age, ineffective materials, and even heavy snow (something that Long Islanders are quite familiar with) are just some of the causes of sagging.
Not sure how to tell if your roof is sagging? Just grab a pencil, pen, ruler, book, or any other straight item, stand out at your curb, and hold the object up to your eye level while looking at your roof. This little trick will allow you to quickly and easily determine if there is a sag in your roof. If you do notice any sagging, you’ve got a serious problem on your hands, and it’s something that roofing contractors need to address.
- Granule problems: If you notice any bare spots on your the shingles or see granules collecting in your gutters and downspouts, schedule an inspection with a professional roofer. Granules line the exterior portion of shingles; the part of the shingle that you see. These granules may not seem significant, but they actually serve an extremely important purpose: they improve the strength and durability of the shingles, thereby improving their ability to protect your home.
Age, heavy rain, strong winds, and tree damage are just some of the reasons why granules can wear off of shingles. While small amounts of missing granules may not be a big deal, if your shingles are bare, or if you see large amounts of granules collecting in your gutters, you’ve got a serious problem on your hands.
- Loose, damaged, or missing shingles: If your shingles are loose, have sustained tree- or weather-related damage, are curling, or are missing, calling a roofer is an absolute must! Shingles serve as a barrier, protecting your roof from the harsh UV rays of the sun, allow water to drain off the roof, and aid in insulation. When shingles are loose, damaged, or missing, you need the help that only experienced roofing contractors can provide.
- Moisture problems: Leaks in your ceiling, water damaged insulation, mold and mildew; when these types of moisture problems arise, there’s a good chance that you’ve got serious problems with your roof. A roof is supposed to serve as a barrier between your home and the elements, including rain and snow, but if it’s old, damaged, or poorly installed, water can penetrate through this barrier and cause a number of issues. If you’re having problems with moisture, having your roof inspected by a reliable Long Island roofing company is crucial.
It’s old: While roofs are durable and meant to last a pretty long time, they aren’t built to last forever. On average, asphalt and composite roofs last about 20 years. While it can last longer, if your roof is approaching or has exceeded 20 years, chances are that you’re going to be dealing with some pretty big issues in the near future. Instead of waiting for the inevitable to happen, be proactive and contact Nassau & Suffolk County roofers to discuss a new installation
Finding Reputable Roofing Contractors
If you think your roof needs to be repaired or replaced, you’re probably asking, “Where can I find roofing companies near me?”
- It isn’t hard to find a Long Island roofing company; however, before you hire the first contractor you find, it’s important to do your due diligence to ensure that the roofer is reputable and reliable. Sadly, not all roofing contractors are who they claim to be. There have been too many reports of people posing as professional roofers and scamming people, or doing a subpar job, leaving homeowners with incomplete projects or a roof that fails just months after it has been installed.
- In order to avoid jeopardizing the safety and security of your home and being swindled, make sure you conduct an interview with any Nassau & Suffolk County roofers that you are thinking about hiring, and ask the following questions:
- Do you have insurance? Don’t even think about hiring a contractor that doesn’t have insurance. A reputable roofer will carry liability and workers’ compensation insurance. In the event that an accident occurs and an employee working with the roofer gets injured or your property, workers’ comp insurance will prevent you from having to pay for the injuries. If your property is damaged while your roof is being repaired or replaced, liability insurance will cover the cost of the necessary repairs.
- Are you licensed? In New York, roofing contractors must be licensed. Ask the roofing company if they’re licensed, and verify with your local licensing office to ensure that it is up to date and that there aren’t any violations. If roofer doesn’t have a valid license or if there are any outstanding violations on the license, keep looking elsewhere.
- · Do you offer a warranty? A reputable roofing contractor will guarantee the work they do. Reliable contractors will offer two separate warranties: a manufacturer warranty that covers the materials that were used, and a warranty covers the work that was done, which is provided by the roofer him- or herself. Find out the details about warranties, including what they cover and how long they last.
- · Do you have a physical location? Not having a physical location may not seem like a big deal, but it is. If a roofer doesn’t have a physical address, it’s a serious cause for concern. Why? – Because you may not be able to find the contractor when you need to, and (sadly) there’s a chance that the company could close up shop before completing the work.
- · Do you have references? Ask for references. Contact previous clients that the roofer you are thinking about hiring has worked with. Ask what those clients thought about the work that the contractor did, and whether or not they would recommend the roofing company. Ask if you can see the work yourself. A reputable contractor will be more than happy to supply you with references and show you work that he or she has done.
If you aren’t happy with the answers that you received from these questions, keep on looking! Roof repair and new roof installation is a big investment. You definitely want to make sure that you are hiring the right contractor for the job.
Roofing Contractors: What to Expect?
You’ve found a Long Island roofing company that you’re pleased with; now comes the fun part: the repair or replacement of your roof! But what should you expect from your contractor? Here’s a look:
- · An inspection and estimate. Your contractor will perform a thorough assessment of your roof to find out what type of work needs to be done. After the inspection, the roofer should let you know everything that he or she plans to do, such as the types of repairs that need to be made, the materials that will be used, the labor that will be required, and about how long it will take to get the job done. The contractor should also give you an estimate for the job before starting any work. Also, keep in mind that you should never be asked to make an upfront payment; however, you may have to put down a deposit.
- · Open communication. You should expect open lines of communication throughout the entire process. Your contractor should let you know whether you or the company will acquire any necessary permits, the start and projected end date for the project, when any emergencies or changes in plans arise, and any other pertinent information that will apply to the job. Your contractor should keep you up to date and check in with you regularly.
- · Clean up. Whether you’re having your roof repaired or completely replaced, there’s going to be a lot of debris. Your contractor should let you know how that debris will be handled. A reliable company will take care of all of the clean up. They’ll bring a dumpster and make sure that all of the roofing materials, including wood, nails, shingles, and any other debris, will be cleaned up and removed from your property.
Where to Find Reputable Nassau & Suffolk County Roofers?
You want to ensure that the Long Island roofing company you choose has an outstanding reputation and will perform exceptional work in a timely manner and at a fair price; you shouldn’t accept anything less! If you’re asking, “Where can I find roofing companies near me?”, look no further than ML Best Construction, Inc!
As Long Island’s #1 source for roofing, siding, and gutters, ML Best Construction, Inc is among one of the best roofing contractors in the area. For nearly two decades, they have been providing outstanding roof repairs and new roof installations throughout Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
This fully licensed and restored Long Island roofing company has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and they are a GAF Master Elite Roofing Contractor. They’re proven track record of success is a true testament to the high-quality craftsmanship that you can expect from this superior company.
When it comes to your roof, you don’t want anything less than exceptional, and with ML Best Construction, Inc, exceptional is exactly what you’ll get!